Thanks to pro-racer Amelia Boone, pre-race pop tarts have been a big craze for the last year or two. However, it’s time to change and bin that crap.
Welcome the new champion of your OCR kitchen – the kickass pre-race protein waffles. The name is a mouthful, but so are these delicious waffles. Trust me.
A while back we shared a recipe for making kickass protein balls, which burn out cleanly and give you enough energy throughout a race. Similarly to the protein balls, we’re again using only clean ingredients to make these waffles, with an optional sprinkle of raisins (if you’re a fan) or some other goods we’ll suggest below.
This is my first attempt at delivering the recipe, so don’t expect sprinkles or pretty shapes. Just the raw macho power of freaking waffles.
Ingredients (makes 4-6 macho waffles):
- Coconut, almond or any gluten-free flour – 1-2 glass
- Hemp, whey isolate or any other high quality protein powder – a scoop or two for good measure.
- Baking powder/Baking Soda (proven to boost endurance, just don’t add too much so it does not result in disaster pants) – 2 tbsp will do.
- Couple of eggs with yolks. Not yolking around.
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp. First melt it in on a low heat, then stir into the batter.
- Rice, almond or coconut milk. Diary will do just fine too, if that’s what you are into.
You will also need the following gear:
- A waffle cooker. I used a fat American-style waffle maker.
- Tupperware to pack waffles for your pre-race snacking.
- Preheat the waffle maker.
- Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and the liquid ingredients in another. Then add liquid ingredients to the dry, slowly mixing them in. Add any extra milk/water/almond milk if you need for the ideal consistency (it should be similar to pancake mix).
- Cover the waffle plates with just a little bit of coconut oil. This will prevent sticking.
- Add the waffle mix into the maker. Cover just ⅔ of the lower plates, since the rest will be filled by the waffles expanding thanks to the generous amount of baking powder.
- Do 50 burpees.
- Open the maker and take those bad boys out. Voila! You got yourself a pair of Macho Waffles.
I eat these for breakfast before a run or a training session. They’re handy to eat on the go or while travelling. Macho waffles also have a good macronutrient ratio to give you energy, however if you want more carbohydrates – simply add a handful of raisins on top.
One waffle provides just the right amount of nutrients to keep you going for at least an hour. And of course it is a much better choice than energy gels and other on-the-go supplements.
For an extra kick: treat yourself to peanut butter covered waffles or if your body allows some maple syrup drizzle. If I need a boost before the race I tend to simply top it with energy gel. That’s right – use energy gel instead of jam and prep up to kick ass later. Either way – these will make your day.
Will you try this recipe? If you do, please tag us in your photos on Instagram so we can see your awesome creations! We’re @gritcamp.